Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Mynew microwave of 2 years was unplugged during hurricane…

Customer Question
Mynew microwave of 2...

Mynew microwave of 2 years was unplugged during hurricane Irma. Upon plugging in, I get the message H97 after 1 sec of operation. can I reset this

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

NN-SA661s

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Plug and unplug. nothing else

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So H97 is a very bad error code to get for this Panasonic microwaves I'm afraid. H97 on this microwave can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove all the screws around the outer sheel of the microwave and the outer shell of the microwave will pull straight back, up, and off. This will give you access to the door switches through the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up. Both parts cost about $100-150 so it's normally not worth repairing if the door switches all check good.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc