Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Water is coming out of my bottom freezer Whrilpool

Customer Question
Water is coming out...

Water is coming out of my bottom freezer Whrilpool refrigerator. also the bottom pan is filled with ice.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 5 years old. Wher do I find the model number?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If at all possible

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Wrx735nsdbm00
No.

Perfect, thank you. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Do I need to unplug the power cord to defrost it , or can I turn the thermostat off.

Since the doors need to be open to thaw out the unit in a reasonable time, you will want to flip the breaker off or unplug the refrigerator.

Can I use a blow dryer to defrost it so it won't be down so long

You can but that requires removing the back panel inside the freezer which is a couple hour process by itself and quite difficult.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?