Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I have a kenmore elite fridge and the freezer is not cooling

I have a kenmore elite fridge and the freezer is not cooling properly.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 12 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. I have cleaned the coils this afternoon as well
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Before the cleaning the freezer would register sero 0 one day then 29 the next. Odd fluctuations. then today it went above freezing. We emptied it out and cleaned the coils. now it is taking a very long time to recover.

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I know how frustrating this can be. Is the fan in the freezer running? You should hear it when the door is shut and it should stop when the door is open.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Let me check
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
the fan is running
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm going to switch to live call. Be right there.

sorry I am not available for a phone call at the moment the site sends those outs its not from me.

I need you to check the compressor in the back to see if its running hot or warm?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
How warm or how hot? just to the touch? Do I check by putting my hand on the bulb looking thing or is the compressor somewhere else?

the compressor is located in the back its a black pot looking thing just put your hand over it and check please

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ok, I need to remove the cover.

its located in the back just so you know ill be here

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ok, it feels hot to the touch. guessing 110-115f

ok so there is the problem you seem to have a leak in the compressor and its going to need to either be charged or replaced. Now I will be honest this can be a very costly job.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I was worried about that. I am looking at new units but 3k is alot of money. What would a recharge cost on average?

well the recharge for the tech to come out plus the charges your looking at a couple hundred. If the compressor needs to be replaced that can be over 600 for parts and then of course the tech having to charge replace and all.

I am sure this isnt the news you want but sadly its the problem. Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I see. Thank you Travis. I'll sleep on it but most likely I'm buying new fridge.