Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The power comes on my Kenmore dryer, but the hourglass icon…

The power comes on...

The power comes on my Kenmore dryer, but the hourglass icon is on & the filter icon flashes. I have cleaned the filter & dug a bunch more lint out. It's like it got stuck on the second part of a cycle.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Kenmore 592-89057. About 7-8 years old I think.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so...

9/26/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

Have you tried to unplug the unit for a full minute and plug it back in?

I unplugged it, but not for a full minute. I will try that right now.
No, that didn't work.

Does the unit run at all or nothing?

No. The power turns on, but it doesn't run. I clicks when I press start or pause, but it doesn't do anything. The filter light flashes when I first turn the power on, then stops flashing. The hourglass stays on, and the cycle shows the first & second shirt icons.

Check to see if the belt is broken

I don't know how to do that, lol. Would it make any noise if it were broken? Would it make any noise before breaking?

No the belts just break then it will do what yours is doing. You need to remove the top to check the belt

I can't find my manual, and I can't find it online either. What do I have to do to remove it?

Remove the back edge screws on the top panel and slide it back and lift it off. Check for the belt on the drum and see if it is intact and tight.

Is the belt white-ish with black?

CLICK HERE

Nope, nevermind. If it's the thin black one in the middle, then yes, it's broken. How do I install a new one once I find one?

Here is how to change it out, you can get a belt at your local Sears

CLICK HERE VIDEO

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

I don't know about that. Our local Sears does have appliances, but it is pretty much just a pick-up for parcels. I doubt they would have parts on hand.

Here is a link to the belt online to buy

CLICK HERE

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thanks so much for your help!