Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The power comes on my Kenmore dryer, but the hourglass icon

The power comes on my Kenmore dryer, but the hourglass icon is on & the filter icon flashes. I have cleaned the filter & dug a bunch more lint out. It's like it got stuck on the second part of a cycle.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Kenmore 592-89057. About 7-8 years old I think.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so...

One moment while I get some information for you!

Have you tried to unplug the unit for a full minute and plug it back in?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I unplugged it, but not for a full minute. I will try that right now.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No, that didn't work.

Does the unit run at all or nothing?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No. The power turns on, but it doesn't run. I clicks when I press start or pause, but it doesn't do anything. The filter light flashes when I first turn the power on, then stops flashing. The hourglass stays on, and the cycle shows the first & second shirt icons.

Check to see if the belt is broken

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I don't know how to do that, lol. Would it make any noise if it were broken? Would it make any noise before breaking?

No the belts just break then it will do what yours is doing. You need to remove the top to check the belt

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I can't find my manual, and I can't find it online either. What do I have to do to remove it?

Remove the back edge screws on the top panel and slide it back and lift it off. Check for the belt on the drum and see if it is intact and tight.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Is the belt white-ish with black?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Nope, nevermind. If it's the thin black one in the middle, then yes, it's broken. How do I install a new one once I find one?

Here is how to change it out, you can get a belt at your local Sears

CLICK HERE VIDEO

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I don't know about that. Our local Sears does have appliances, but it is pretty much just a pick-up for parcels. I doubt they would have parts on hand.

Here is a link to the belt online to buy

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help!