Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Stove 790.74132310. I was smelling gas when…

I have a Kenmore Stove...
I have a Kenmore Stove 790.74132310. I was smelling gas when turning on the oven with hissing sound. The gas company checked out the stove and said the ignitor is wearing out and we should probably not use it until it's repaired. He commented that it is a common part that wears out.My question is about the potential cost. Can you please help estimate repair cost versus purchasing a new stove. I believe the unit is about 3-5 years old.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The person you had out is exactly right, it sounds like your igniter is getting weak and needs to be replaced. They tend to fail about every 6-8 years or so. The cost of the part is about only about $90 or so, so if you're handy you can replace it yourself for $90, but if not then the cost of replacing the part is about $220-230 for a technician to replace the part for you.

CLICK HERE for igniter

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thank you Tyler, one follow up question. Curious about repairing it myself... does it involve any gas work? It looks like just popping out and in a new electric component with a plug. I can build put together computer components, perhaps this is similar? Thanks..

Sorry about the delay but no gas work is involved. Just remove the floor inside the oven, unplug the oven, and you'll see the igniter mounted to the back of the back burner which you can unscrew, unplug, and swap out with the new one.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc