Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Microwave has lost power. Won't heat. Whirlpool Gold

Microwave has lost power...

Microwave has lost power. Won't heat. Whirlpool Gold microwave/convection oven above stove. Model # 6MH6185XVQ-1

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 6 years old Model # 6MH6185XVQ-1 It is a Whirlpool Gold Microwave/convection oven over stove.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible if we need to call service person we could

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My sister-in-law adjusted the power level and it heated more slowly and then quit working. My husband also put cup with gold trim in microwave and that could have been problem.

9/25/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So there are a few fuses that could be bad if you're sure the microwave is getting power from your house. Only 1 fuse can be accessed without taking the microwave down. To access that fuse, unplug the microwave and remove the screws coming in from the top of the vent panel above the door and control panel. Remove the control panel. Next, remove the screw at the top of the control panel. The control panel will slide up about 1 inch and then hinge forward and down. Now you can access the fuses behind the panel which is a 1" cylinder fuse back inside the control cavity. It's part 21 on the diagram in the link below.

Other than that, the microwave will need to to be removed to take the entire outer shell so you can access the other 2 fuses. Both fuses are little dime sized black and silver fuses. One is mounted to the side of the magnetron and the other is mounted to the top of the microwave cavity on the left side. You'd need a multimeter to test them for continuity but if any of these fuses have no continuity, it needs to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc