Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

If i run the dryer empty or run the dryer with less than 4…

Customer Question
If i run the...

If i run the dryer empty or run the dryer with less than 4 pieces of clothing, the dryer behaves normally, but the more pieces of clothing that are added the less heat seems to be generated. I have cleaned out and replaced the vent . I've checked air flow. and the dampness sensor.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool duet Sport Gas Dryer

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can get an idea of what might be wrong ..

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm kinda stumped on what would cause this type of behavior or what to test

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Did you inspect the area under the lint filter, down in by the blower?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

let me get you the model number .. I did look at the area under the lint filter, and by the blower. we found a lot of lint and cleand it out. we used lint brushes and vacum cleaner to suck everything clean it is clear now

Okay, great!

Does it seem to heat initially but then pretty much stop heating and just blow cold air?

no ... it is completely dependent on the number of items of clothing put in the dryer
The Mod # is WGD8300SW1

So do the clothes get dry but take a long time or what exactly are you seeing?

when the dryer is run empty.. it heats, it blows air.. and there is air flow.. when you put more than 5 pieces of clothing there is air flow, but less heat.. the amount of heat seems to decrease the heavier the load is.. but when empty.. it seems to run as expected.. which is why I'm stymied..
if we run a small load with less than 5 items of clothing it drys in about 20 min.. which is normal... and what we expect.. if run a normal load size, there is no heat.. if run say 10 items thee is less heat and takes longer to dry ...
It would be easy if it was no heat when empty but it really does vary, based on items of clothes. we ran it adding 1 piece of clothing each time to see this behavior ..

So the issue is that the longer the heat has to run initially (coils energized) the less likely the coils are going to work the next time heat is called for. This is a common issue. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Over time, the coils that have to open and hold the gas valve open will get weak. They will open and stay open initially (the more clothing, the longer they have to stay open to get to the proper temperature) causing the coils to fail for subsequent failure. I believe the gas coil kit will need to be replaced. That is one of the most common failures and the symptoms you are seeing are very classic if this failure. The video at the link below shows how that kit is replaced.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

OH . that's an interesting way to put it.. I didn't think about it WRT to length of time the coils run..

Over time, the coils that have to open and hold the gas valve open will get weak. They will open and stay open initially (the more clothing, the longer they have to stay open to get to the proper temperature) causing the coils to fail for subsequent heating cycle. I believe the gas coil kit will need to be replaced. That is one of the most common failures and the symptoms you are seeing are very classic if this failure. The video at the link below shows how that kit is replaced.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Did you have other questions with this dryer I may address?

Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Kelly, Appliance Technician