Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have the Bosch oven HBL5451UC. It was purchased in January

I have the Bosch oven HBL5451UC. It was purchased in January 2016 and has been used lightly - I cook 1-2 times per week. Oven light went out recently. I tried to turn the glass cover counterclockwise but it won't budge. Manual makes it sound easy and straightforward but the cover won't turn. People seem to have reported similar results (per google results). What would you suggest? I called Bosch and it's very $$$ to have someone come out to look at...Thank you. *****: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The model is HB545L1UC. It was purchased in January 2016.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: FD # is###-##-####if that helps as well. I don't know what's involved. Manual says it should be simple - simply turn cover counter clock wise but it won't budge. I can ask my building super to help but need to understand what to do...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just want to know how to get the glass cover to unscrew. As the manual says, it should be very simple/easy but it is not...

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Disregard the call...
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Will await your response...

So the glass lens cover does just twist off counter-clockwise, but it's very difficult to remove because the heat from the oven warps the receptacle and they seize together. I put one of those rubber hand grip cut outs used to open jars over top of the glass. Then I use channel locks to grab the outer side of the glass lens with the rubber between the channel locks and the glass so that it doesn't scratch the glass. Then you should have enough leverage to twist it counter clockwise and remove the cover.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay thanks. Feedback seems consistent with what is on google but one would think Bosch would have come up with something less difficult to maintain...Not to mention that the oven is less than two years old and the bulb has already gone out.