Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washer will not open the door. It is locked although the…

Customer Question
My washer will not...

My washer will not open the door. It is locked although the power is off. At one point I was able to get my very wet load out of the machine. I tried the Rinse load and now I can not open the door. Everything says it is off.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It a GE Adora and is about 10 yrs old. It is a front load.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not if can help it. This is strange.... the machine just started a rotation on its own and now I can open the door. There had been no lights or blinking etc....

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do not trust it to put in the next load since it is acting so odd....suggestions?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

It sounds like the washer is going into flood mode if this is happening on a rinse cycle. Plug the washer back in and let it just sit for 30 minutes. If it unlock on it's own, then that's exactly what is happening. The washer is designed to shut off (except the drain pump may run) if the washer doesn't fill up to the proper water level in less than 6 minutes to prevent the washer from flooding your house. It'll eventually leave this mode after being plugged in for 15-30 minutes on it's own. Make sure you have good water pressure going to the washer on both hot and cold water lines. If that checks good, then your electronic water valve on the back of your washer would need to be replaced because a solenoid is either restricting the flow or not opening at all.

Now if it doesn't unlock on it's own after 30 minutes, you just have a bad main control board and the main board would need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?