Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Mom has a 2006 kenmore/ whirlpool direct drive washer that i…

Customer Question
Mom has a 2006...

Mom has a 2006 kenmore/ whirlpool direct drive washer that i try to keep running for her, can afford new washer yet, issue is lint, lint lint, cat har fuzz,, no matter what we try less soap nothing helps just started this a few month ago, i pulled washer apart check over for issues,, pump works good,found inner spin basket very rusted in center area, i put in a new tub,, no help,, yesterday i noticed that after the agitate cycle then timer shut down motor few seconds, when its time to drain the tub spins at the same time, seems like the neutral drain si not working in trans,,, alot of dirt and scum was at the top of the outer tub do you think this is all related or am i chasing the wrong issue thank you

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2006 110.16922504

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No dont think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category

I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!

My name is Woody.

I will be glad to assist you today.

I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company

And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.

I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.

I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Ok since you have removed and replaced the inner tub ,you know this design does not have any type of a filter to catch lint or any debris that is in the water.

The washer manufacture is relying upon the dryer to do the filtering of lint and hair things like that.

And you seem to know the operation of the direct drive washer. and yes the unit should pause a few seconds and go into the drain mode with the transmission in neutral then it would /should be in the drain mode for 2 minutes stop give another 5 second pause and the drain and shift into the spin mode for another 3 minutes and during a spin mode give 2-3 burst of cold water during the spin /drain mode to rinse the clothes once more in the power spray mode.

If the unit is doing as you say then yes the transmission if not going to neutral during a drain mode.

And the is an issue ,but it will not have anything to do with the lint and hair being left on the clothing .

Again the washer is not designed to filter the water so if your thinking it should that is incorrect.

The filtering is ALL done in the dryer ,not the washer.

If you have any questions just reply back to me.

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

thank you for your fast reply,, no disrespect but after talking with some other nice folks on other sites and talking to a local shop, several folks have said that any direct drive whirlpool/ kenmore that has a non working neutral drain will leave all kinds of lint since water and lint is forced thru the clothes on the spin,,,, one tech from the state of md. said thats the first sign of a bad trans when cust calls and complains about lint, seen worse if clothes are hung on the line like my mom
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago

LOL The water setting in the tub ,, in a neutral drain ,goes thru the clothes laying on the bottom of the tub, so either way the water ,detergent and lint go thru the clothes , did this guy in MD think that the clothes parted some how like ((Moses did the water in the Sea!! )) for the lint and detergent to drain out of the washer when the washer is in a neutral drain .

And of course it would be worse if you were drying the clothes on a clothes line ,,,on a clothes line you have no way at all to remove lint from the clothes ,that is one of the reasons dryers were invented.

And If you read my post did I NOT say if the washer was doing this (No neutral Drain ) that you would need to replace the transmission ???