Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

FFPS45L3QM0 fRIGIDAIRE COMPACT REFRIGERATOR. fREEZER WORKING…

Customer Question
FFPS45L3QM0 fRIGIDAIRE COMPACT REFRIGERATOR...

FFPS45L3QM0 fRIGIDAIRE COMPACT REFRIGERATOR. fREEZER WORKING REFIRGERATOR 65 DEGREES F.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2YEARS Frigidaire FFPS45L3QM0

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly as it is only 2 years old, and purchase price was $300. If we can repair it we would certainly try.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems to be a fan or timer problem, but how do we tell which one it really is?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

If you open the freezer door do you see any frost or ice on the rear interior freezer wall panel?

And do you hear the freezer fan running at all?

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?

Woody,
Sorry for the delay. The unit is 2 years old. I can hear a motor sound from the exterior of the unit, but I can not hear a fan sound from the interior of the refrigerator compartment. If the repair is replacing a part, that I am willing to do. If the repair is more advanced like servicing the compressor, that may be a little out of my knowledge and comfort zone.Thanks,Paul

Paul:

Woody,There is frost built up on the rear freezer wall particularly near the vent openings. There is also some frost buildup on the top of the inside of the freezer door. You are leading me to believe there is some problem or failure with the fan???Thanks,Paul

yes if the fan stops then the ice on the Evaporator coil will accumulate to stop or slow cooling in the freezer then into the fresh food section.

And if the unit does not go into a self defrost then it will allow ice to accumulate on the coil and that can stop the fan from running if it jammed the fan blade from turning /

Can you remove the rear interior freezer wall panel ?

Woody,
Thanks for your knowledgeable diagnostics. I will have to see how the interior freezer panel is attached. I will reply back with my findings on Thursday. Tomorrow is a super busy day.
Thanks,
Paul
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago

The interior freezer wall panel is held in place with several screws, just remove the screws and the panel will pull off ,exposing the freezer Evaporator coil and fan motor.

Woody,
Sorry for the delay. I looked in the freezer compartment, but I did not see any screws, just a smooth plastic surface.. There seems to be a motor sound inside the freezer compartment and a slight air movement. I moved all of the food away from the rear freezer vents. On the back of the unit, there is a flat sheet metal panel that extends 3/4 of the way down from the top. The panel appears to be attached with 2 screws. If I remove this panel, will I be able to access the coils and fan?
Thanks,
Paul

Yes Paul that is the rear interior panel and behind it is the Freezer Evaporator coil and fan .

Woody,Thanks for your expertise and patience. I will remove the back metal panel this weekend, and see what the situation is. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for, and/or I should not mess with?Thanks again.Paul

You will not hurt anything , if it has ice or frost on the Evaporator coil just defrost it with a hair dryer , and if the fan is not running test it for voltage ,looking for 120 volts A/C