Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My dryer is only 7 months old. It is an electric dryer. I…

My dryer is only...

My dryer is only 7 months old. It is an electric dryer. I loaded the clothes and set the desired settings as usual. It started and made a strange noise and shut down. I checked for coins, etc which might be caught in the crevices of the drum. I found nothing. I tried again, there is no strange noise but the dryer comes on and goes off almost immediately. HELP!!

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I SAID IT IS SEVEN MONTHS OLD. MEDX655DW MAYTAG

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on whether you can enlighten me as to the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I haven't thought of anything else. I have never had a problem with this dryer. It is almost new!!!

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your Maytag dryer. Please give me a moment to review your model. Also, who am I speaking with?

Eloise Justice

Hello Eloise, Can you tell me how long the dryer runs after pressing the start button?

Just a few seconds. Now it starts after a few minutes and shuts down almost immediately; then I press the start and it does nothing.

Ok, is the dryer giving you an error code or beeping when it shuts off?

No.

Ok then. It sounds like you have a bad motor. It is prematurely overheating and shutting off. This is not something that the average person can replace. The good news is that if your dryer is only 7 months old, it should still be under factory warranty. I would contact Maytag directly at 1-***-***-**** and give them the model and serial number that is found in the door frame. They will be able to verify the purchase date using the serial number and should get it straightened out for you. Seven months is simply too soon for it to break down like that.

-- Would you mind rating my service to you? Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech