Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio dryer with an AF error code. I

Hi! I have a Whirlpool Cabrio dryer with an AF error code. I removed the ducting and there is air coming out of the back of the dryer. I then used my lawn blower to blow out the vent attached to the wall. I still have an AF error and my clothes take forever to dry.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: let me get the model number ... just a sec
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm hoping to. I have a home warranty, which I'm on hold with now but it looks like it does cover this appliance. :/ The model number is *****
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you disconnect the vent from the back of your dryer and start the dryer, do you feel a lot of air flow coming out the back of your dryer or is there really no air flow?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
there is hot air flow coming out of the dryer. So then I took my lawn blower and inserted it in the vent to the wall and blew it out for about 3 or 4 minutes. The AF is still flashing

And have you tried to run the dryer without the vent attached? Does the error still come up?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Let me try that! hold please

ok

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Its been running without the duct attached and the AF error is NOT coming on

OK that's what I figured. Unfortunately that means your vent is still restricted. Unfortunately a leaf blower doesn't clean out a dryer vent because lint gets caked onto the sides of the vent from the moisture. You need a specific tool to snake down the vent and break up the lint while blowing it out. You can also check the exit of the vent and make sure not too much lint built up or a bird didn't build a nest at the end of the vent. If that all checks good you really need a dryer vent cleaning company to clean the vent out properly since they have the tools to break up the lint in the vent.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help today!!! Yes, 5 stars.