Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I tried to add this comment at the end of our last

Customer Question
conversation but I guess it...
I tried to add this comment at the end of our last conversation but I guess it locks once I rate you. This is about my Whirpool washing machine (LST 7233A) which I bought in 1994. Water was slowly dripping into the basket & you advised me to just use the water already in it to do a load since when I used the machine before, water trickled in so slowly it took hours to do a wash.Argh. So I finally tried washing the clothes tonight. When I set the load to “small,” the washer immediately began churning, so I put detergent & a lot of clothes in there. But when I checked on it later, nothing was happening. It was at “Pause” or “Cool Down” so I moved the dial manually down to “Rinse” & that worked. But then it stopped. I tried manually moving the dial to “spin” to dry it but it wouldn’t do it.
This was under “permanent press” wash, so I tried moving the dial in the “regular wash” section. It was willing to wash & rinse but not spin. So the water level looks like it’s just as high as it was when I started, it won’t drain & I have a lot of wet clothes.
Does this mean something else is wrong with the washer & not just that one piece that was making water drip into the basket? Please advise.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 day by:
9/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Does the lid switch click when you raise and lower the lid?

No. And it didn't stop washing or rinsing either, which I thought it had usually done in the past when opening the lid. So I had to push or pull the knob to make it stop.

Your original post says it stopped working and you say it actually will not stop running now?

When I tested the washer to see if it had enough water to run with the water already in the basket, it began churning, so I tried to stop it by lifting the lid so I could add the detergent & clothes. But it wouldn't stop. So I had to pull or push the knob, then added the detergent & clothes then restarted the "wash." The "stopped working" part happened after it started washing the clothes, etc.

Okay, so right now it is full of water and will do nothing?

As I said originally, it will agitate for a while while in "wash" and rinse but only when I set it to rinse because it stops in between. but it won't dry the clothes.

So the lid switch is faulty. It will no drain or spin with the lid up, so if the switch is bad it will fill and agitate only.

Well obviously I put the lid back down to allow it to wash & rinse but it won't dry the clothes. And it pauses in between

I will see if another can help.

Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site JUST ANSWER
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

The model number is ***** the lid at the rear of the opening on top loaders .If you open the washer lid ,
under the lid NOT on the lid ,but under the lid at the rear of the opening will be the manufactures model and serial number on a silver tag.

This is about my Whirpool washing machine (LST 7233A) which I bought in 1994. Lately, water was slowly dripping into the basket on its own & Kelly advised me to just use the water already in it to do a load since when I used the machine before, water trickled in so slowly it took hours to do a wash.Argh. So I finally tried washing the clothes tonight. When I set the load to “small,” the washer immediately began churning, so I put detergent & a lot of clothes in there. But when I checked on it later, nothing was happening. It was at “Pause” or “Cool Down” so I moved the dial manually down to “Rinse” & that worked. But then it stopped. I tried manually moving the dial to “spin” to dry it but it wouldn’t do it.

you have two issues.

One the water inlet valve assembly will need to be replaced ,(slow water just trickling in )

And this model will not drain nor spin if the lid switch is bad.

So the lid switch too will need to be replaced.

And (lst7233a) is only about 3/4 of the full model number that is on the tag under the lid.

Can you give me the FULL model number?

the water valve is approx $13.00 and the lid switch is around $35.00.

Would you like a link to the parts you will need to replace?

LST 7233AWO Serial # is CD0629126 not sure if that is an 0 or an O. How bizarre, so if opening the lid doesn't stop the action, the machine can't go to the next phases after wash like rinse & spin? And it can't be done manually? Yes, please provide links. I'm going to be gone for a month in December/January. In order to prevent further drippings into the basket which will overflow the whole machine by the time I get back, does turning the water hose completely off help?

Yes to stop any more dripping when the unit is NOT in use just turn off the Hot and Cold water supply valves to the washer.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
Here is the lid switch

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

And here is the water inlet valve.

---> CLICK HERE<--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Well, a few minutes ago before I got your message I tried to turn off the water that leads to the washing machine. The hot water faucet, etc completely broke off (it's like someone sliced off the entire thing right at the wall) & warm water came gushing out. Ran to turn off the water supply to my condo but water was all over my floor. This nightmare never ends. GOtta call a plumber. Do you think it's worth getting a lid switch just to get the water to drain? What can he do? Do they have stoppers they can attach to faucets just to close them off so I can put water back on for the rest of my condo?

the lid switch does more then just let the unit drain if the lid switch is bad the unit also will not spin .

And the plumber will have to replace the water valve / faucett before you can turn the condo water supply back on for your unit.

And a plumber will not work on your washer, just plumbing .

At this point I may not even use this washing machine anymore, just get a new one. As i said earlier I was able to get the machine to agitate despite the lid problem, though not sure how long it really washed for as I didn't see any suds. You're saying if I don't replace the water valve then I'll continue to get dripping in the basket when I put the water back on?
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago

yes that is correct .

The washers water inlet valve has to be seeping (leaking a small amount when not it use) in order for it to bring in water when the washer is not operating .and it will continue once you have a water supply to the condo ,,unless you turn the water off after every time you use the washer.

And the new washers only use about 1/3 the amount of water this design uses, which as far as I`m concerned the newer washers do not get clothes as clean as this design.

A plumber finally came over yesterday & he cut into the drywall of the wall & put a new faucet on the hot water side but refused to try to tighten the cold water faucet fearing it would break off too. I figured if it did, it would save me calling him again cos then I'd just pay him to do the same to fix that. Do you think most plumbers would've done as I'd requested? He said there was no warranty for his work because the pipes were old (40 years) so they could break at anytime. I was hoping to detach the hose between the faucet & the back of the washer to clear any gunk out to make it easier for the water to flow if I bought a new washer or just to make more water flow out of it if I fixed my current washer. He didn't want to help me saying the debris might float to another part of the water supply and make the pipes break. Does that make sense or was he just lazy?I showed him my toilet which was gurgling water in the tank because the ball in the tank sunk too low & I had to prop it up by sticking a plastic cap to keep it elevated so it wouldn't do that. He told me the whole toilet had to be replaced when I only bought it in 2011 (he didn't try to sell me on a new one).

Well I would have thought he would have tightened the hose for you.

And you can remove the hose from the washer end of the hose .to flush the hoses.

I think just lazy, if nothing else I would have told my customer .I will tighten the hose for you but I can not be responsible if the faucet breaks like the hot one did .

I'm afraid to try to unscrew the hose because the whole thing might fall off the wall again. So you don't agree with him that getting rid of blockage between the machine & the faucet might adversely affect the water supply/pipes elsewhere? Does it make sense to not give me a warranty for his work?

if you do not want to turn the faucet off on the wall ,then you will not be able to remove the hoses on the washer end , and I can not see the piping in the wall like he did ,but there are not many companies out there that will not warranty work that they perform!

And no if you turn the faucets off to the washer to remove the hoses from the washer ,there is not way it would effect the piping some where else in the home!!

I think he meant once the water was put back on, the debris that was still clinging inside the hose might go & screw up pipes somewhere else in the condo & cause the pipes to burst. Not likely?

no Not Likely .

Master Tech
Master Tech