How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Engineer-Tech Your Own Question
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 573
Experience:  Years of Repair Experience, Bachelor's Electrical Engineering Technology, MBA
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Engineer-Tech is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If have a ge pfss5njw model refigerator, and it looks like

This answer was rated:

if have a ge pfss5njw model refigerator, and it looks like the compression(?) fitting into the inlet valve assembly is leaking.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ge prilfe pfss5njw and about 8 to 9 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: mope

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your GE refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your model. A

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
on back of fridge, model as an extra lettter: pfss5njwa . just an fyi

Thanks. Can you tell me if the water line connected to the water valve is coming straight from the wall or from the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
the line is the one coming down from top of refigerator (upper left looking at the back of refigerator) and down to the dual inlet valve assemble. I am not sure if the inlet assembly contains an o-ring or not (of some sort). there is a plastic line with a copper nut that fits onto a copper fitting on the inlet valve assembly

The first thing I would to is to try and tighten that fitting. If it still leaks, and you are sure that the leak is not coming from the inlet valve itself (by examination) you will need to replace the filter housing assembly. It is where the line is coming from that connects to the inlet valve.Would you like the part number and a source for the filter housing assembly?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
tightening the firtting seemed to make it worse :-( But it seems that the water is leaking from the fitting above the shield that the male fitting fits through. There is a hard plastic end to the line that is fanged. but i am wondering if there is an o-rint in the assembly that this hard plastic end tightens against....

There is no o-ring. It is a compression fitting. If the leak is coming from anywhere above the threaded portion of the inlet valve, the filter housing tube is at fault which necessitates replacing the entire filter/tube (housing) assembly.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I see. are there instruction on how to do that? or is there a way to cut the line and insert a connector?
It looks like the lines run up into the filter assembly, so most likely will have to disconnect that

The part number for the filter housing assembly (also know as the filter & tube assembly) is WR17X12301

Here is a link to it on Amazon:

I will find you an instructional video. One moment please.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks you. Will i need to purchase any fittings for the other end of the hose assembly (the one that runs to the wall inlet?).

Yes, you could get a standard plastic water inlet line and cut it in half and use a 1/4 inch quick connect to splice them together. That would works.

This is the closest video I could find. It is not for your model but similar in its process.

- Would you mind rating my service to you? Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
hmmm. but i would need a hose with the same fitting on the end.
i'll probably end up buynig the whole assembly

Yes, it is a standard fitting - just like for any (plastic) water line that you would use to connect the refrigerator to the wall.

The line is always pressurized though. So any mistakes in splicing the line could mean a high volume leak. It is safer to replace the whole housing.

I will now be signing off for the evening. If you have any further questions down the line, please let me know. I will respond to any questions I see when logging back in.