Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The icemaker quit working yesterday, it's about 5 years old,

Customer Question
The icemaker quit working...

The icemaker quit working yesterday, it's about 5 years old, I checked that the storage container is fully seated and it looks like the "eye" for the cut-off is not blocked by frost, it is in the on position as well, the water dispenser works, I tried unplugging the unit as a rest as well.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I just replaced the water filter but not the air filter, not sure where the thermostat is on this one.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 8 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

check the ice maker and see if has ice in it that has not dumped yet or if its empty also please give me the model number of the refrigerator, so I can give you model specific information, thanks.

I felt up behind and don't feel any ice, the model# *****
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 8 months ago

That unit has a dual water inlet valve with two solenoids one that supplies water to the dispenser and one that supplies water to the ice maker so one side can fail while the other still works and if the ice maker is not getting water then the ice maker side of the valve has failed and it will need to be replaced. The replacement valve and a video showing how to replace it is listed below:

Refrigerator Water Inlet Valve

Part #: W10258562 - click here for part info at sears

Here is a video that shows how to replace the valve - the model refrigerator in the video is not the exact same as yours but the replacement procedure for the valve is the same aside from on yours you probably want have to cut the water lines because yours should the quick connect valve already.

click here for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. Rating the answer does not close the question out it will still be open after you rate. I do not get compensated until you rate, I'm sure you don't work for free please don't expect I should.

I seen that you don't get paid until score your service, I'm reserving my rating until I successfully identify the problem.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 8 months ago

ok

I replaced that part this afternoon and it's still not making ice, the filtered water right next to it is working fine, any idea what else it could be? I do not believe the tray is filling with water.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 7 months ago

Well if changing the valve did not fix it then the ice maker itself is bad and is not sending voltage to the water inlet valve.

I have a volt meter, what's it supposed to be and is it only energized if the tab on he door is depressed?
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 7 months ago

follow the instructions below and bypass the bimetal thermostat in the ice maker if it runs and puts water in but does nothing afterwards the thermostat in the ice maker is bad, if it does nothing the motor is bad, either way you will need to replace the ice maker.

click here for instructions

Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson