Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Maytag Performa washer Model PAV2200AWW is stopping

Customer Question
My Maytag Performa washer...

My Maytag Performa washer Model PAV2200AWW is stopping between the wash and rinse cycle. It empties but then there is a buzzing sound and it shuts down. If I turn the machine off and wait a few hours and pull up the control it will restart. It stopped in wash cycle the other day and wouldn't restart. I replaced the thrust bearing and it is now back to shutting down after the wash/drain cycle and buzzing .

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I am guessing about 10-12 years old. Serial number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. If I can. I am questioning if it is the pump motor or the general motor.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has been stopping mid cycle and buzzing about every 2-3 loads for a year or so. The other day was the first time it would not restart at all.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you just get a buzzing sound when it should spin and you allow it to sit a couple hours and it works again, that means you either have a bad motor where the centrifugal switch inside isn't engaging all the time, or more likely you have a bad contact inside your timer so it's only sending power to the run winding and not the start winding causing the motor to overheat. Then turning the timer off and back on will reset the contact. It's hard to say for certain.

Now you did mention the pump (which doesn't have a motor). And this part is known to fail but it always creates a very loud noise when the bearing on it is going out. There is just 1 belt below the washer which turns the pump and the transmission so the pump would stall the belt if it was going bad, but letting it sit wouldn't really solve anything so the pump can't be the problem.

Since the unit won't restart at all now, tip the washer back and remove the belt. Spin the 2 smaller pulleys and if the pump pulley doesn't spin smoothly both directions, then the pump needs to be replaced. Otherwise, based on the problem being intermittent to start, I'd replace the timer behind the large knob in the control panel first.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?