Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ge compactor not working right again. It comes on, goes

Customer Question
Ge compactor not working...

Ge compactor not working right again. It comes on, goes down, then makes a lot of noise. I turn off power, then turn back on the power and it comes back up to it's normal position. Turned on its side, all gears are good, well lubricated, checked all switches w/ ohm mter, all test ok.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

8 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am a retired Electronics maintenace tech from the phne company w/ over 40 years repairing all electronic communications devices

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you?

GE GCG1580POSS

Thank you. ***** this is an issue with the plastic gears below the compactor slipping. The compactor is designed to generate enough force to stall out the motor. This allows the centrifugal switch inside the motor to de-activate thus reversing the motor. By unplugging the machine, you are creating the same scenario because you have stopped the motor by unplugging it so it reverses. That noise you hear when it gets to the bottom if the plastic gears slipping when it should be stalling out so that the compactor can reverse. You need to order kit number WC36X5071 and replace the 2 white plastic gears under the compactor to fix this issue.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.