Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag refrigerator model # MFI2568AEB FREEZER NOR…

Customer Question
I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag refrigerator model # MFI2568AEB FREEZER NOR REFRIGERATOR COOLING. not getting cold freezer not freezing. cleaned coils

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

MFI2568AEB . I GOT 2 YEARS AGO FOR CHRISTMAS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it warm, room temperature, or really hot?

Also, what is your serial number as well?

I had to plug it back up to check.Serial number 12912810LV. I had notice that the flap on the DOOR IS VERY WARM. THE FAN IS RUNNING.

OK thank you, ***** ***** the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it warm, room temperature, or really hot?

The fan is running. I'm waiting for it to run for a few minutes to check

ok sounds good. Also, while you're letting it run. Listen closely to the compressor and do you hear it clicking on and off ever couple of minutes? Do you hear it running at all? Or is it silent?

Compressor is runninh, not click king on and off.Water is in the overflow tray
You still there?

That's the drain pan, water should be there. So it sounds like it's running and should be cooling at this point. Give it 24 hours and see if it cools down. If not, then your have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. If it doesn't cool down, it's hard to figure out what happened at this point because it's working as intended so you'd have to wait for it to act up again. If it acts up again then check the compressor again and if it's still running, then you have an compressor that's getting inefficient. If it's clicking on and off, then the overload relay on the side of the compressor needs to be replaced. And if the compressor isn't running at all, the main control board on the back of the refrigerator behind the 8" x 8" access panel needs to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

You did not answer on the fridge door the closure flap is very warm.

That's normal. That flap is called the "mulliun strip" and it has a heater built into it so that the doors don't freeze shut in humid climates if you put it out in your garage and it gets below freezing.

I can see the coils in the bottom back floor . They are green material looking substance on it. The Compressor is warm to the touch

OK well that means you either have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. The only way to know which issue you have for sure is to have a technician tap into the system and check the freon pressure. A freon leak is about $450 to repair and a new compressor is about $650.

Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc