Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The vents at the back of the freezer section of my

Customer Question
The vents at the...

The vents at the back of the freezer section of my refrigerator have started to get covered with ice from time to time. The first time it happened I thought I got them cleared; but this time even after turning it off for several hours, there is still ice inside the vents. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Whirlpool about 3 years old. Don't have the model #, but it's double doors with a middle drawer over the freezer.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I prefer if it's not a big deal.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have used a blower to attempt to make the ice melt but I don't know what happens to that melted water.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If you open the freezer door is there a layer of ice on the bottom inside the freezer as well?

I didn't notice one earlier. Now the bottom has a few small pieces of ice and some droplets.
It says you can't call. It also looks like the call would add $24. Is that right?

If it collecting ice on the bottom of the freezer then this is going to be a blocked drain hole. So when it goes into defrost mode because the hole at the back is blocked it overflows and collects in the bottom of the freezer and the vents in there and causes this fault.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and from the back panel inside the freezer. .

Once thats off you will see the drain gutter in the back towards the bottom. This will be all iced up so clear the ice from there.

Then you will see the drain hole. Pore boiling water in there and poke something in there to clear the hole. Once clear test it by poring water in there and make sure it drains away.

Once thats all clear refit the back panel and this should cure the fault from there and stop the ice collecting under the bottom drawer.

So try that and see how it goes from there as this will cure the fault.

Im unable to do the call request but you dont really need it on this anyway as its looking like a blocked drain hole

That will take a while, but I'll give it a try.
Wish me luck. I guess that's it. Bye

Im sure you will be fine. But another way if you dont fancy removing panels then you can do a full defrost on it for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open and this will defrost itself fro there.