Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool frig model EHT171KNR2 is cycling on/off quickly as…

Whirlpool frig model EHT171KNR2...

Whirlpool frig model EHT171KNR2 is cycling on/off quickly as if the compressor isn't starting and the overload protection kicks in

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Frig was bought in 1982... EHT171KNR2 is the model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Frig is keeping good temp in both freezer and frig

9/22/2017
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

ok so you either have a failed start relay /overload that is bad or the compressor has a locked rotor condition.

if you pull the unit out and remove the cover off the rear and on the side of the compressor is the real /overload cover.

If you unplug the unit and remove the white over load and shake it if it rattles the overload is bad and will need to be replaced.

Let me know what you find.

yes ,now unplug it from the compressor terminals and shake it to see if it rattles or not!

It does seem to rattle a bit.... I'd be hard-pressed to say if that's normal though... you say it should be completely solid?

yes ,no rattling from the overload is normal if it rattles then the overload needs to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

I'm guessing that's not a direct replacement...
1) does this replace both the "brown cap" (I assume thermal sensor) AND the white relay in my photo?
2) does this replacement plug into these three terminals in the attached photo? Hard to tell from the photo of the replacement...

yes it replaces both .You will leave the white wire where it is on the compressor terminal lugs.

And the red wire attaches to the red wire with out a terminal on it and the other red and blue wires plug right on to the compressor terminals.

And the part does come with instructions also !!

I hope so!The "brown cap" is designed to ride up against the compressor housing - I assume that's for thermal protection... this replacement does NOT appear to do the same... is there still thermal protection?

yes the wire ties and the tube of thermalastic will hold the overload to the exterior of the compressor

Thanks Woody! I'll let you know how it goes in a few days...

no problem at all!

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .

But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Master Tech
Hey Woody, are you around?

yes I am !

I'm wondering what the expected / normal duty cycle is for my frig.. ie, how long should it run and how long should it be off. My house temperature right now is about 72.. and the freezer is set to 0... frig is pretty much empty...

The unit does not run by time temperature only .

So I could not even begin to tell you that and there would be way too many variables.

the only thing I can tell you as for time is the defrost timer and it should be 8 hour run 21 minute defrost.

but with the freezer empty the unit will cycle on and off a lot .

With the freezer empty you have nothing to hold the cold in the freezer .

ok... so 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off doesn't sound so bad?

no not if the unit is empty in the freezer.

ok, thanks!

glad to assist you anytime.