Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Samsung Refrigerator has started to make a noise which…

My Samsung Refrigerator has...

My Samsung Refrigerator has started to make a noise which sounds like vibration noise when a motor is running. I'm not sure if it's from the actual cooling motor or a fan. It isn't constant but only every so often when some kind of motor is running.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The refrigerator is 6 years old. I will go over and see what the model is

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Model: RF217ACPN

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes. The refrigerator is installed in a space where there is pretty much no space between the wall and the appliance on the back and sides. There doesn't seem to be much room for air circulation on the back and sides.

9/22/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

When its making the noise if you open the fridge doors does the noise stop?

I would rather have a response in writing. I am a 77 yr old woman. I will not be making any repairs to the refrigerator myself. I will need my son to do anything that needs to be done. I will need something in writing to show him what needs to be done.
If I am going to spend $$$ to repair the refrigerator, I may as well call a live repairman.

Ok in this case what you will find is the evaporator fan in there is iced up so the noise is the fan hitting the ice.

What you need to do on this is either empty the fridge fully and remove the back panel in there.

In the back cover you will see the fan. You need to use a hairdyer and melt all the ice on there and melt the ice on the evaporator as well which you will see.

Once its all clear refit the cover and that should sort it from there.

Or if you dont want to go removing the covers then you need to turn the appliance off for 24 hours and leave the fridge door open. This will defrost itself from there.

Then after 24 hours turn it back on and im sure you will find this will be back to normal again from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

This sounds like a probable cause of the noise. There is some strange issue with the icemaker, the ice is being dumped somehow other than only in the bin it's supposed to be deposited in. It hasn't appeared to be a problem other than ice being in places other than the bin. The construction of the regrigerator/freezer is probably not the best it should be. (I will never purchase another Samsung kitchen appliance--problems with the other 2 Samsung appliances purchased at the same time as the refrigerator/freezer as well). Samsung kitchen appliances are inferior. Really bad investment.

These samsungs as you have found are not the best built appliances. There nothing like the older models which was well built and lasted for years.

But hopefully you can sort this fault out from there anyway.

Is the icing problem perhaps due to the tight fit of the appliance in the space where it's installed? Should there be more space between the back of the appliance and the wall?
You gave me a probable answer to my initial question, do I get only one question per session?

No, The space wont cause the ice in there. This is usually down to either a door being left open, a defrost issue or a one off ice build up.

As to only getting one question no, You can ask as many as you need on this as thats fine.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Sorry, your latest response had not come through when I wrote my last question. Didn't mean to be offensive. Thanks so much for your help.
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician