Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE freezer FUF 20DA FRWH and tech #1 diagnosed

restrictedDrier/Rep 1/DE. I declined...
I have a GE freezer FUF 20DA FRWH and tech #1 diagnosed restrictedDrier/Rep 1/DE. I declined to fix that day but changed mind and when #2 tech came a month later he said freezer could not be fixed. Now I can't even get an appointment...have called 3 times and that's all they tell me. I wanted #1 tech but will take someone else (except #2) but am not even given the opportunity, they just say no appointments available. I am getting pretty tired of getting the run around.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I think the tech said it was an early 2000 model. My first message got sent by mistake without the #'s. It is FUF 20DA FRWH
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Like what?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. What exactly are you seeing happening with the freezer?
  2. Did they put valves on to diagnose or how did he come to the conclusion it was a sealed system issue?
I don't know just what he did but the back wall was off and he showed me that the unit had frost only on the very top and he said that was why it was not getting/staying cold enough to keep things frozen. All the 2nd tech did was type the model # in to the computer and then he said could not be fixed.
Are you going to answer now, email me or what?? Do I need to stay online?

Ah, okay, So the issue is not likely a restriction but a low refrigerant level. The only way to know would have been to solder on a valve and check the pressures, so it is likely that they expected you to simply decline an expensive repair and collect their service/diagnostic fee. What was their charge to be to repair it, did they tell you?

Sorry for the delay, it takes me time to type and I have other questions as well.

It was going to be $216

Okay, so that is a fair estimate. So it sounds like they just don't want to fix it. Did you use an Authorized GE servicer or an independent company?

I live in a small town and am having trouble finding someone so I chose Sears as I was also having them check a problem on my Kenmore refridgerator.

They are an Authorized Servicer, they are giving you the run around. Are you calling a local number or the call center? I would escalate it to a Service Manager.

I guess it is a call center and they direct me to repair scheduling.

If they gave you an estimate the first time around, they should have record of that. Both techs should have left a receipt for you, did they? What were the comments from the 2nd tech on his receipt?

Here is the issue, that repair is a bit of a pain to complete because it requires a lot of specialized equipment and time. The techs make the same if it is an easy repair or a difficult one, they are paid hourly. So, if they say it can't be fixed, it closes that ticket and it shows as a completed call for them. Tech number 2 was a lazy tech.....

The 2nd tech did not even leave a receipt. He said he was new to Sears and he did not know how to show that the appliance couldn't be fixed in such a way that I would not be charged a service call.

You already paid a service charge the first time around. There is no way to file a no charge on the Sears system, I worked for them for several years. It requires a manager's approval. What is your zip code? I can try to find a different servicer to help but I would call and request a call from the Service Manager and they will get the 1st tech back out to complete the repair.

He said he had talked to his mgr. I was just so angry since #1 said it was a standard fix and any repairman should have the necessary parts in their van. My zip is 98610. I will try on Monday to get a service mgr. to at least call me back. Thanks for your help.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Ok

If you cannot get satisfaction from Sears, the closest option is below. I would stay on Sears, though, they have your initial money you paid already

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician