Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool dryer model WED86HEBW0. During drying cycle

Customer Question
Whirlpool dryer model WED86HEBW0...

Whirlpool dryer model WED86HEBW0. During drying cycle control panel began "freaking out" beeping and flashing with stop and start sounds. Dryer would start and stop. Control panel wouldn't respond when trying to touch different options on display. Would turn cycle control knob with crazy response of beeping stopping and starting. Finally all power completely off. No lights no response. Dryer dead. First checked circuit breaker not tripped but noticed blackened prong on power cord. Replaced outlet and power cord. Ordered replacement control board and just replaced that part (OEM Part - Manufacturer #WPW10542001) without solution. Please advise next step.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Exact model WED86HEBW0. Purchased new with installation 4 yrs ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

No, unfortunately I don't have one.
waiting for your response

ok So if you do not have a Volt-Ohm meter we have no way of doing any testing .

Are you 199% sure that the dryer is even getting voltage to it?

there is definately power to the cord going to dryer. Replaced that cord which has green light indicator.
dryer thermal fuse wouldn't be a cause would it? As stated before already switched out control board with no results.

ok These unit do not come with cords on them !

What kind of cord do you have on the unit?

The thermal fuse will stop the motor but not the control board from lighting up !

The dryer power supply cord that plugs into outlet for electicity.

I know it would supply voltage to the dryer!! I asked what kind of plug is it?

And is it a 240 volt plug ?

Electric dryer power cord kit, 4 foot 30 Amp 3 wire w/closed eyelets & strain relief
OEM Part - Manufacturer #PT220L

ok so it should be fine and the light tells you it has voltage in it .

You have replaced the cord .and it has been working fine until recently correct?

Replaced power cord first after problem started, before replacing control board. Neither has had any effect. Both parts changed after initial problem.

ok with out you having a meter we are more or less at a stand still.

I would recommend buying a meter .( Every home owner should have one and know how to use it )

You can get cheap one for less the $10.00

Then we can test the voltage to the electronic control board and be able to go from there.

Can we resume this session later or tomorrow or at another time after purchasing a volt meter? Or do we have to start over and explain again to another technician with another fee?

I will be online today until 5P.M. EST

Just copy and past the questions URL address to your favorites and reply back when you can!

If we have to go to work today and can't reply until tomorrow is that possible? Or another day you are available?

Monday is better ,I`m not working this weekend

Will try to reach you Monday before 5pm EST (we are in central standard time) for more help. Thank you.

No problem!

Would like to resume communication. Have a Volt-Ohm meter now and tested power cord. Wondering how to test voltage to the front touch control panel encase that's the problem?

Great I see you have opted back in to me assisting you on your question.

To test voltage to the user interface control panel you can test the right on the main control board on the P5 connector .so let`s remove the P5 connector off the main control and the P5-1 is denoted by a arrow ,so find P5-1 and then go to P5-3 and then P5-8 .

P5-8 is + P5-3 is - and testing from P5-3 to P5-8 you should get 12 volts D/C

Then if you have that voltage ,put the P5 connector back on the control board and find the P2 and test P2-1 to P2-3 P2-1 is +and Ps-3 is - and you should see 5 volts D/C.

If ALL of the voltages are correct then I recommend to test the line voltage on the rear of the dryer while you have the unit plugged in and trying to run .

I want to make sure that you do have a constant 240 volts into the dryer when it is running , if the control voltage is erratic you could get the same issue as your saying when it goes crazy !!

If the control /incoming voltage stays the same from Black to Red at 240 volts A/C .

Then let`s replace the user interface control panel .

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Master Tech
Master Tech