Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do you replace evap drip pan in Maytag M1TXEGMYW00. 6

How do you replace evap drip pan in Maytag M1TXEGMYW00
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6 YEARS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES i AM APPLIANCE TECH. PAN IS ON RIGHT SIDE & THERE IS NOT ROOM TO PULL IT OUT THE FRONT & LOOKS LIKE IT IS CAULKED IN
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: To me it looks like the only way to remove is to lay refrig on side & loosen the compressor mounting bracking

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The drip pan doesn't pull out the front. It's designed to be pulled out the back after you remove the compressor. You can try to unscrew the 4 bolts mounting the compressor and see if it'll pull out the back, but if not then you have to remove it like it's intended which is by evacuating all the freon, disconnecting the copper lines going to the compressor, and removing the compressor completely. It's a huge job just to replace the pan so if you can silicone a crack or something like that, that is usually the better option.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No surprise the answer you gave is the same as I described in the question. I have been an appliance tech since since 1963, yes I said 1963. I have had factory training in most of the US brands. Am now retired. I'm not sure I should be charged for you agreeing with me. Refrig. not worth removing the compressor to replace pan. Pan is flimsy & hardly worth patching.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I know how to do it, & have the tools to do it.

I can't control how the refrigerator needs to be repaired. If you knew that was the only way to fix the appliance you wouldn't have asked the question. If all I did was confirm what you suspected then great, I have done my job---now you can decide what you want to do and move on so you don't have to keep looking for other answers that don't exist.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank for confirming what I thought. I am surprised at the quick response & I can move on.

no problem and good luck to you. I'm sorry about the bad news however.