Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher that is 2 years

Hello, I have a Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher that is 2 years old. The dishwasher fills with water and pumps water out, but the wash cycle never kicks in. It is like the dishwasher is just skipping this step. I have cleaned all the filters, checked for clogs in hoses and obstructions in the pump. These are all good. Can you tell me what might be wrong? Thanks, Randy
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 years old and it is a plastic tub Gold Series Model # WDT720PADW1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

After the washer fills, will it drain right away? Or does it sit there and do nothing for awhile first?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it sits there and does nothing for awhile
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am using the 10 min wash to troubleshoot

OK so that is a problem with either something jamming the circulation pump failing or the circulation pump has just failed and needs to be replaced. You'll need to pull the dishwasher out, tip it on it's back and remove the circulation pump . Check for debris inside. If you find nothing, replace the pump. Below is a link to a video on how to access the pump as well as a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for video on pump removal

CLICK HERE for circulation pump

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Is the circulation pump different that the pump that pumps water out of the dishwasher?

Yes, the drain pump is much smaller than the circulation pump---they are separate.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK, Got it.

Good luck! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.