Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Amana bottom freezer BB120EE. The freezer works…

I have an Amana bottom...
I have an Amana bottom freezer BB120EE. The freezer works but the fridge is warm. I've taken the bottom freezer panel to look at it. The compressor is working and the fan in freezer is working.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

When you took the panel off inside the freezer was there a build up of ice in there over the evaporator?

If you mean the fins yes. Not a huge cake of ice but real heavy "frost" on all.

Thanks for the picture.

Theres the fault there. Theres too much frosting on the evaporator there so its stopped the air flow into the fridge.

What you need to do is use a a hairdryer and melt all the ice in there.

once its all cleared if you have a test meter you need to check the defrost heater and see if faulty. If it is then the heater will need to be replaced. You will see the defrost heater wrapped around the evaporator.

As for the frosting to build up like this then its usually a fault on the defrost side so too much ice builds up and this stops the air flow into the fridge section.

So defrost it anyway and this will at least get the fridge cooling again from there.

I'm using the hair dryer now.

Ok no worries.

Once its all clear turn in back on and in a few hours this should be back to normal again from there.

I defrosted the fins and notice that there is only a small amount of cold air coming out of the vent holes in the fridge, but maybe that's normal? Is there a fan that blows it up there? Maybe just wait and see if it works?

If its all just been defrosted then it will take a few hours before you feel the cooling in there again.

So check it later and im sure you will find its cold again from there.

OK, will tell you one way or the other .

No worries thats fine.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician