Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Need help with my whrilpool fridge. 7 years old. Replace…

Customer Question
Need help with my...

Need help with my whrilpool fridge

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

7 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Replace main control board because the can't get water,ice, or the front panel won't light up the board won't turn the fridge on have to put the old one in to keep it running

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

open the fresh food section door and the model /serial tag should be on the interior wall near the top.

GD5DHAXVQ06

Thank you ,now what is your question ?

i replace the main control board because the front display ice maker and water stop working when i put the new control board in nothing happens it won't turn on just the inside lights up so i have to put the old control board back in to make it run again

what is the part number of the new control board that you installed and had to remove?

WPW10210789

ok that is the correct main control board part number. and we know it is a issue with the new control board because the old one works just not the dispenser area.

I would return it and get a new different main control board and go from there.

i did that already i am on my second new one i cant get another i own this one
i watch the youtube video its a easy fix just the new control board wont do anything had a tech come out and he said it was the main control board
any other advice you can give me on what to do i call whrilpool they told me to leave it unplug for 20 min did that nothing
ask the place where i got the part they told me to let it sit for a couple of hours plug in then turn it on nothing

have you tested the outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into for proper polarity and ground?

If an outlet is not properly polarized or grounded it is not an issue of will it task out an electronic control board but WHEN will it take it out.

and are you grounding yourself before you EVER touch the new control board to dissipate the static electricity in your body ?

told me to wear gloves i did that
i have to check the outlet question so why does the old one keep working
as soon as i put it back in the fridge
no front display ice or water but it runs

because the old one is probably not bad.

Have you tested for voltage out of the old main board for voltage going to the dispenser ?

no not yet one more question so why wont the new board turn the fridge on then like the old one

I have to assume the new board is faulty, because you do have the correct part number so it has to be a bad board or the way you wiring it up (plugging in the harnesses)

This is my second new board I couldn't of got two bad board any other suggestions

when your installing the new board what if anything is the unit doing?

And if it is not running the compressor or any of the fans have you mad sure that the new board is not in a defrost mode?

And with the new board in place have you done any voltage checks from the new control board?

The people's at the parts store sad it might be in defrost mode they told me to plug it back and wait about hour then turn the fridge on did nothing happened how do you get it out of defrost mode

To terminate defrost all you do is unplug the unit and plug it back in!!

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

John, Home Appliance Technician