Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My microwave turntable turns when unit is off. Kenmore and…

Customer Question
My microwave turntable turns...

My microwave turntable turns when unit is off

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Kenmore and 15 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Do you need mode

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today. Do you have a model number by chance?
721 (###) ###-####
email
give up?

I'm still here. Just looking up your model. Please give me a minute.

The light on unit that shines down on stove burned out one day. Then unit blew breaker. And not turntable turns when unit is off.

So unfortunately this means that your microwave thinks one of your door switches has failed. There are 3 door switches and usually the bottom one is the one that fails, but you'd need to remove the outer shell of the microwave and test the switches to know for certain if a switch is bad. The fact that a light blew below the countertop typically means that your display board is actually what shorted and not a relay is stuck like it thinks a door switch isn't working. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test the actual door switches inside your microwave see if one of them is bad. If all 3 switches test good, replace the display board. Based on the way it failed, unfortunately it sounds more like the display board is shorted and not a bad door switch.

CLICK HERE for testing video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

How do i replace light bulb?

You have to remove the outer shell of the microwave in order to access the bulb. That requires a T-20 safety torx bit screwdriver. Remove all the screws coming in from the back along the right, left, and top edges. Then remove the screws coming in from the right and left side near the bottom. The outer shell will pull straight back, up, and off to access the bulb. Part number is ***** Be sure to unplug the microwave first. The same process is needed to replace the display board or test the door switch since the outer shell needs to be removed on your model to access these.

Please give me a estimated cost of parts. Thanks
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago

The bulb is $6 or so, the switch is $10 or so if you need a switch. The display board is the most expensive if it's bad. First, the part number is ***** and it's no longer made so you'd have to send it to a place like Core Centric Solutions to have it refurbished which costs about $200 and takes a week. If the display board is bad, it's probably best to just replace the microwave.