Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How are you? Hope you can help me. I have a Kenmore

Hi, how are you...

Hi, how are you? Hope you can help me.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator, its model # is 253.51693105. it has not been used for three years, before I stopped using it, it worked well. Recently I moved it to my renting house and tried to use it again. Now it works fine except for its water and ice dispenser. It seems no power to the water and ice dispenser control panel. I pushed any button on the control panel, no light came out and nothing happened. When I pushed the water actuator, no water came out and the light wasn’t on (the small light bulb looks OK).

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I guess it was purchased at 2002, but the compressor was replaced by a new one in 2008, and other parts were replaced also. its model # is 253.51693105.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have checked the water valve in the back, I found it was leak, so I ordered one and replaced it with a new one, and found the water flow was OK, but it didn’t help. I checked the door switch in the freezer and measured its continuity with a multiple meter. It was fine.
When I pushed the water actuator, no water came out and the light wasn’t on (the small light bulb looks OK).
For Ice maker, when I pushed down the wire handle which is inside the freezer to sensor, waiting for a while, I can heard some sound from ice maker, it seems that ice maker doing something.Do you think what I should check and which part I need to replace?

9/21/2017
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

So just to be sure your NOT getting any dispenser functions to operate at all correct?

You may have not seen my question in my last post to you.

((So just to be sure your NOT getting any dispenser functions to operate at all correct?))

Please just let me know which part I should check and replace it.

Are you seeing my replies / questions that I`m asking you?

Right. Not functioning.

ok on the bottom of the left (freezer ) door is a wire harness let`s look at it to see if it is loose or damaged in anyway.

That harness is how the dispenser functions get power to operate.

I checked there, I couldn't find any wire harness there. Do you think it is on the top for this model?

it could be on top the parts diagram does not show it in the photo just gives a part number so look on top it may be under the hinge cover.

If the wire harness is OK, do you think the control board of the dispenser has a problem?
Is there a fuse for the control board of dispenser in this model?

yes it would be the dispenser control board .

One last question if you open the freezer door does the interior light go on?

no fuse!

I will try to find that wire harness first later. Beside this one, could any other part failure cause no power to the dispenser?
I don't remember there is an interior light in the freezer. Only a light in the fresher, and it works when the fresher door is open.

just the freezer door light /safety switch it feeds voltage to the dispenser thru that harness .

If you find you have a parts issue if you let me know I can provide you with the part information also.

The wire diagram shows a door light/ safety switch and a light in the freezer area.

If there is an interior light inside the freezer, I don't it lights when I open the freezer door. I am not at home now. I can check it later. I checked the door switch inside the freezer, it seems OK after I tested.
I didn't see it lights when I open the freezer door.
Is there a fuse for the dispenser control board in this model?

No fuse on the control board!!

The black wire on the freezer door is L1 power lead.

And the red wire powers the dispenser.

And one wire diagram shows a freezer light ,the next wire diagram does not show a light bulb ,got to love Kenmore diagrams.

If no power to the dispenser control board, why could I heard sound from the ice maker when I push down the handle which is used to senor the ice level inside the ice box? is the power to the ice maker not controlled by the dispenser control board?

the icemaker is not powered from the dispenser control board !

What is the part number for the dispenser control board in this model?
That makes sense the ice maker is powered independently. Based on the current issues, do you think the main control board of this refrigerator should be OK?
According to information I provided to you, what is your suggestion to get this problem solved?

only the ice dispenser function is controlled off the dispenser control board .

Yes if the unit is running the main adaptive defrost control is fine.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

sorry it took time to look the part up and get you a link to the part .

That is OK. I will find the part number from the website you recommended.

just click on the parts link the part number is ***** loaded in for you to order it .

anything else part I should concern for solving the problem?

just the freezer door switch and the dispenser control board is it !

Good! I will try to find the wire harness which you mentioned, and order a dispenser control board from the website you recommended.
Thank you very much for your help!

And here is a link to the freezer light switch if you need it .

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

OK, I will do that. Thank you for great help!
Have a nice day!

Thank you in advance ,and you too have a nice and safe day!

Master Tech