Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Second opinion] My whirlpool refrigerator compressor runs…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My whirlpool...

Second opinion] My whirlpool refrigerator compressor runs for a few seconds than quits

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

14 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No sure the model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The condenser fan is working and so are the fans ln the freezer

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician replied 10 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician

90% of the time it is the compressor locking up.
9% of the time it is the start relay or needs a hard start kit installed.
If it needs a hardstart kit, you're about 1 year from compressor failure
1% of the time it is the overload

Time to replace, or spend almost the same in repairs on something that will probably last less than a year...sorry

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, it is to save you time, money and the threat of unwanted repercussions.

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.

Just a quick follow-up as I have not heard from you for a while.

Anything more to report ?

Please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.