Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a whirlpool duet sport washer that is now displaying

We have a whirlpool duet sport washer that is now displaying a F-28 Message
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ModelWFW83005WD4
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: wE WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO FIX OR IF IT IS EASY ENOUGH FOR ME TO FIX
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Appliance Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: We called appliance repair and he first pulled whirlpool up on his phone and then after reading his screen said itss a control board and that will cost about $500.00. I didn't feel he knew what he was doing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We want a real whirlpool technician to tell us if it is a $500.00 repair job.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately the technician is correct about this error. F28 means that your main central control board (CCU) and the motor control board (MCU) are not communicating with one another properly. The motor control board is located under the tub mounted to the floor of the washer. The CCU is mounted under the top panel of the washer and is the part with about 100 wires going into it. You'll want to remove the top panel and the lower front panel to check the wire connections and make sure they are all secure. If everything looks good, you will need to replace the MCU so below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace for your model.

CLICK HERE for MCU

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.