Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a ge profile spectra xl44 gas range and oven. The…

Customer Question
I have a ge...

I have a ge profile spectra xl44 gas range and oven. The temperature seems off. I have to add additional minutes to recipe baking times for food to be thoroughly cooked. Someone suggested the calibration was off. model#jgbp79web5ww serial#va259734p Any thoughts? The range came with the house and no user guide has been found.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Could be 15 years? Is that not the right model#?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's not too complicated

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We bought the house in2009 and so far it has served us well

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/20/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Often time people will think that their oven temperature has become inaccurate. This could be true, but the first thing you want to do is test to see if this is the case. Get a cheap oven thermostat from a local grocery store. Place the thermostat inside the oven directly in the center of the cavity. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. When the preheat light goes off or the oven is done preheating the thermostat will not read correctly. The thermostat should always be lower than the 350 degrees you set the oven at because it weighted. Think of it as a piece of meat, the meat doesn’t automatically heat up to 200 degrees, it takes a roast several hours just to get to 140 degrees. The thermostat isn’t as big so it doesn’t take as long, but you should wait at least 30 minutes when testing the temperature to get an accurate reading. If it still doesn’t check correctly then you need to calibrate your oven thermostat. You could even have a faulty control board or a faulty thermostat and it will just need to be replaced. Most ovens can only be calibrated +/- 35 degrees so if its off by more than that, you have a faulty component. Attached below are the instructions on how to calibrate the oven if needed.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?