Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Right in the middle of a cycle, we paused our whirlpool

top-loading washer to add clothes...
Right in the middle of a cycle, we paused our whirlpool top-loading washer to add clothes. When we shut the lid, it drained...is still trying to drain with the pump running, and NO lights on front. I unplugged, re-plugged. Same thing.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maybe 3 yrs old. Model WTW5000DW0
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: As a first step, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No water in tub.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

Now that a few minutes have gone by, is the machine still trying to pump out?

I unplugged it so I wouldn't burn up the motor. I'll plug it back in.
it waits about 5 seconds, then starts to try to drain. NO lights to indicate the progress cycle.

If you press and hold the start button for 5-8 secs, will it stop?

It stopped.

Are any lights flashing?

No.
I can try starting a cycle now, if that seems right.

Great!

I am going to give you some instruction to follow to reset the computer

Give me a minute to get them

Okay...will hold for instructions. Not re-starting wash cycle yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae9lO8aXg2M

Look at the video and when all the lights are flashing, turn the dial until the spin light comes on and PRESS START

The machine will go into the self test and then shut off.

This should reset the machine.

Then try it out .

Tell me if it works

Don

I'm not sure I've done it right, because my model is different and has no display. I got all the lights to flash, then only DONE flashed, then I turned the knob to rinse/spin and pressed start. Now "Sensing" is flashing.

Thats OK the consoles look different but the sequence is the same.

You need to go through the sequence and when all the lights flash, turn the idal until the SPIN light is on and press START and let it go.

Making another attempt...
Sorry...layman at work. How do I reset the reset? Can't get any light combo except ALL FLASHING and SENSING. No dial turn results in the SPIN light coming on by itself.

Unplug it and wait 30 sec repower it up and try it

OKAY! It worked. This time I obtained the SPIN light and pressed start. The machine went into an immediate door lock and fill. Currently various combos of lights are on, and it is now draining again with the WASH and SPIN lights both on.

You got it!

Just let it go through until it unlocks. All functions are tested and will work unless your machine has a problem. If it stops you should be good to go.

Okay. It appears to have stopped. DONE light is on. Am I free to start a wash cycle then?

Yes go ahead a try it out.

Are we good?

Seems to be going through a normal wash cycle...taking a bit of time in the SENSING mode. Give me about 60 seconds and I may be shouting glory...

It will say sensing for up to 6 min and then start filling

Almost out of the woods...just wanna see it go into WASH to be sure.
Drum has agitated normally...now final fill happening...
Aaaaaand we're in WASH! I feel like an Apollo astronaut. THANK YOU for your time and help. Totally worth the $36 to access your expertise.

Your very welcome

______________________________________________________________________

I hope you feel that I given you my best effort on helping you out today.

But if you still have questions, just ask , otherwise, may I please ask that you take the time to rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting 3-5 stars to rate my help to you before you leave today.

I thought I would add, that many people think the payment they placed is sent to me after I answer their question. But,it is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then JA credits me for my time working with you.

Just Answers runs on the on "Honor System" for technician ratings and I depend on you for a positive rating. No Rating means I work for free .

By rating my help today, you will be "Locked In" at no additional charge, should you need to come back for any follow-up questions.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out.

Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required, unless you feel I have given you exceptional service.

Have a great day!

Don

ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
Will rate. Thanks much!
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician