Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an RF263BEAESR/AA refrigerator that iced up to the…

Customer Question
I have an RF263BEAESR/AA...

I have an RF263BEAESR/AA refrigerator that iced up to the point of having the fan in the back of the refrigerator compartment start hitting the ice and making noise. I searched online and decided I needed to replace the refrigerator defrost heater. However, I disassembled the fan unit at the back and defrosted all the ice that had built up, and at the same time I turned the fridge to forced defrost mode, and the heater seems to work. My question now is, why is it frosting up? After defrosting thoroughly I turned it back on and after about 8 hours it is beginning to frost up the upper part of the cooling tubing at the back of the compartment (I didn't put the screws back in so that I could pull the panel back out and see how it was performing. Why would it begin frosting up that quickly?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

I have an RF263BEAESR/AA refrigerator (it is 3 and 1/2 years old) that iced up to the point of having the fan in the back of the refrigerator compartment start hitting the ice and making noise. I searched online and decided I needed to replace the refrigerator defrost heater. However, I disassembled the fan unit at the back and defrosted all the ice that had built up, and at the same time I turned the fridge to forced defrost mode, and the heater seems to work. My question now is, why is it frosting up? After defrosting thoroughly I turned it back on and after about 8 hours it is beginning to frost up the upper part of the cooling tubing at the back of the compartment (I didn't put the screws back in so that I could pull the panel back out and see how it was performing. Why would it begin frosting up that quickly?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Guess not. did you get my long description?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/20/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 11 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. From the sounds of it your problem is more then likely the defrost thermostat that has gone bad since the heater itself is working.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/DA47-00243C/0046/401.html?modelNumber=RF263BEAESR/AA-0000&categoryName=Bottom-Mount%20Refrigerator&brandName=SAMSUNG