Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a kenmore elite duel fuel and we beleive the oven…

Customer Question
We have a kenmore...

We have a kenmore elite duel fuel and we beleive the oven temp. is not consistant. Baking is all over the place and once in awhile accurate. How can we confirm, check, adjust?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

4-5 years max

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If Ican

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Things that normally take 15 min take 30, other items get burned on the bottom. my wife is an avid baker (some would say a PRO) so she knows whats shes doing but the oven doesn't seem consistant

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/20/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Model # 790.
Serial ####-##-####

On the right track with the 790. but a FULL Sears Kenmore model number is ***** digits long and will look like this 790 .(###) ###-####/p>

I can find no other numbers on exterior (or inside the door) for this oven. The manual cover says:(###) ###-####
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 10 months ago

Ok that worked ,when I input that number in Sears Data base it brings up one model number which was Model #79041093100.

So I will use that number to go off of for my information.

Thank you!

That model has an electronic controlled oven operation .

So you have the electronic control board and a temperature sensor.

You have not said anything about seeing any F error codes on the clock display ,so I`m going to assume there have been none.

When you say the oven temperature is in consistent, do you feel that the temperature has ever gone over or below the set temperature by over 50 degrees?

If you feel; it has then it is an electronic control board issue.

And with not F error codes it would not be the temperature sensor which also leads me right back to the control board.

You can test the temperature sensor with a Volt -Ohm meter if you would like .

At room temperature it should read 1080-1100 ohms.

And if it is good then you will need to replace the main electronic control board /clock .

I can provide you with part number is ***** also just let me know ,and of course if you have any questions just let me know.

No codes have been displayed on touch screen. We feel electric oven is "under" heated, as it takes twice as long to cook items as stated in recipe. However, an under done "cookie" has a burnt bottom or a bread has a uncooked center and a perfect exterior. In other words, cooking situations are all over the place and I believe there is a tempurature issue in electric oven.
1. Where do I check (connect electrodes) for Ohm meter?
2. What is the part number for control board?
3. The rest of the touch control board is working fine, no issues at all. Does this sway your diagnosis?

ok so if it is an under heating issue .

In a Bake operation are both Bake (lower) and Broil (upper) element coming on to properly heat the oven?

And if you open the oven door you will see the long oven temp sensor it is held in place with one screw remove the screw and then you will see the temp sensor plug unplug the sensor and on the sensor itself take the reading across the two leads looking for 1080-1100 ohms at room temperature.

I am not sure if it catagorizes as an "under heating" issue. It can burn as well as not cook.I will need to check both elements come on when in heat up mode, if not then what could be the issue?I sure i can locate the temp sensor, but can you be a bit more script with disconnecting & checking the ohms.You hand also offered the part number, could you share that with me please.

the temperature sensor is mounted in the top left corner of the oven cooking cavity.

And it makes no difference if it is too cool or too hot ,you need to test the sensor.

It should ohm out at 1080 -1100 ohms at room temperature.

Here is the temp sensor if you need it

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

I pre-heated the oven and the broiler as well as the oven element were functioning to heat the oven. I have not tested the ohms yet but will be back in touch.

ok no problem!

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate, I'm sure you don't work for free, so please don't expect that I should.