Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Water dispenser does not work. Two plastic bottles in rear…

Water dispenser does not...

Water dispenser does not work. Two plastic bottles in rear of box are frozen. Water freezes in bottom of fridge box.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Samsung RF26X, about 5 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I changed the filter, but the button is still red. We don't have an owners manual.

9/19/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

When this happens its the evaporator unit inside the the fridge ices up too much and this causes the water bottle to freeze like there doing.

What you need to do is either empty the fridge section and from there you need to remove the plastic panel inside the fridge section fully.

Behind there is the evaporator unit. If this is all iced up then you need to use a hairdryer and fully defrost it from there.

Once clear you will see the defrost heater, thermal cut out and defrost sensor in there. You need to test each of them with a test meter and see if any are faulty. If so then you need to replace which ever is faulty.

Or if you dont fancy removing panels then you need to turn the appliance off for 24 hours and leave the fridge door open and this will defrost the evaporator from there.

Then turn it back on and hopefully this sorts it. But if the same happens again then you will need to get the parts in there checked out.

Thats whats causing the water bottle to freeze up like this so check that if you can and see what you find from there.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician