Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My daughter has a whirlpool 6th sense AWM 8121 washing

Customer Question
My daughter has a...

My daughter has a whirlpool 6th sense AWM 8121 washing machine. It has been working OK until last week. Now she loads the machine, selects the cycle, which is the one she always uses, and the machine comes up with an saying "door open" and will not start. The door appears to lock OK but it will not start

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Not sure of the age, she bought it second hand. Appears to be in good condition. Is that AWM 8121 not a correct model number

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am in Sydney and my daughter is up in Warners Bay near Newcastle. Is it an easy fix or do l need to get a repair person in. If so can you give me the name of a repairer up in that area

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Are you a real person or is this some automated reply

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/19/2017
Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer

I am Martyn, here in Australia. The "Expert" community at Just Answer are not on JA Staff, we are Technicians and Professionals from across the globe, many with our own businesses to run, as well as spending time to help with Q&A on JA in our "spare" time. We appreciate and rely on your honest positive ratings.

Admin will address any broader concerns and questions about billing and site use, we are just here to assist with the Tech side and the specific Q&A

The Door Lock mechanism is a mechanical device and the sensor is telling the system the door is Open even though it is not

First principles.... check the latch for debris and lint... vacuum or remove as best as

Try the door firmly again

If the latch is unresponsive, it will be either the Latch, or the Relay.
in either case, it will need to be seen in situ unfortunately

There are a number of Service options in and around Warners Bay .....HERE

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, it is to save you time, money and the threat of unwanted repercussions.

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.