Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have Kenmore fridge that is 7 yrs. old. It is a bottom…

Customer Question
I have Kenmore fridge...

I have Kenmore fridge that is 7 yrs. old. It is a bottom freezer. The freezer work fine but not the upper fridge part. The coils in the freezer part freeze up and I taken a blow dryer and melted the ice on them and sometimes it will work for a while. What is the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

569.69973011

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on what is wrong.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 5 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. If both parts happen to check good, the main control board will need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc