Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My refrigerator stopped cooling on the refrigerator (right)

Customer Question
My refrigerator stopped cooling...

My refrigerator stopped cooling on the refrigerator (right) side and on the ice dispenser screen is giving me a code @ and a sign almost a + Any idea what might be wrong?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

2010 year manufacture and it is a RS267

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am very good on replacing parts

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/18/2017
Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Is the freezer side still working ok?

If so then you need to empty the refrigerator side and from there remove the plastic cover at the back in there.

Bhind all that is the evaporator. Check to see if its all iced up. If so then you need to use a hairdryer and defrost it all from there.

Then also check the evaporator fan in the plastic cover and check theres no ice stuck in there jamming it up.

Once its all clear refit the panels and retry it and fingers crossed this will cure the fault.

But if this does it again in a few weeks time then theres a fault on the auto defrost in there which can be either the defrost heater itself, defrost sensor or thermal cut out. All these are located in the refrigerator section on the evaporater.

So try that and see how it goes and let me know.

i removed the cover and there is small amounts of ice over the evaporator. Let ,me point i had the appliance disconnected over the weekend and reconnected it about 5 hrs ago. no water came out of the refrigerator side. The freezer side is working ok. What next?
The fan spins loosely. I have an ohmmeter but fdont know what reading has to be on the motor. It has 3 wires

Ok remove the cover again but try and leave it plugged in and running.

Then from there check the evaporator unit and see how much frosting is on there.

Is it an even layer of frosting going down it or is it just collecting at the top?

Are you able to post a picture of the evaporator?

frost is gone while i was working on it. I had it unplugged

Ok did you see it all the way down the evaporator or was it just towards the top?

plugged it in again and waiting for you to tell me what next
should the fan be spinning with door open?

No, The fan only runs when the door is closed.

So press the door switch in and see if the fan runs then.

i only see a door switch on the freezer side
should there be a switch on the right door?

Theres usually one on the fridge side as well. Do you see it?

no
you dont know where it should be located?
the one on the fridge side is on top by the hinge. I dont see one on the opposite
frost started to build over the evaporator evenly. I cant tell if the fan ever have moved

Ok if you dont see one then its done by a magnetic sensor built into the door so you cannot activate it that way.

As to the fan if the compressor at the back is running then the fan inside the fridge should be as well.

So as its not running but theres even frosting on the evaporator then the system is working fine so its looking like the fan motor could be the issue here.

there is 23 wires to the fan. Red black and white. It reads 2k ohms between red and black and 6.1k ohms between black and white. So theoretically the motor reads ok
sorry i mean 3 wires to the motor

Ok so with them readings then the resistance is fine.

But if you turn the fan by hand is it stiff or is it free to turn?

totally free to turn and loose

Ok as the fan is fine and free and not running then its looking like the control board is the fault here im afraid. As the control board is the part that powers the fan up and sends the voltage to it.

So inspect the control board on the top of the unit and see if theres any signs of burning on there or blow marks.

But as the fan isnt running then its looking like the control board is the issue here im afraid.

the temperature sensor on the cover next to the fan should read resistance? I do not have any reading

This is the defrost sensor so it will be a high resistance of around 7K ohms roughly.

So you may need to adjust your settings on your meter to test this.

if it reads open it means that is one problem right?
i thought it was that sensor but it is a LED light
obviously it will not read resistance

Ok if it was the led light that sorts that issue out.

But the sensors in there wont stop the fan from running as they just control the defrost side of this.

To disassemble and check the board is seems kind of complicated and I run out of time for today I have to go to work so I guess I'll try to do that sometime tomorrow morning but I lost a lot of time waiting for your response this morning so I'll try to disassemble the display and check it out for Burns tomorrow morning

No worries, Thats fine.

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with the washer as the question is still open.

Do you still need help on this, If so then just get back to me. But if not if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Regards

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician