Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have been having problems with my GE Profile refrigerator.

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having problems with my GE Profile refrigerator. Something is freezing, then the ice hits the fan causing a terrible noise, and it eventually shuts down if I don't d-ice it. Repair people have been out multiple times. Could the fact that I can't get it to level side to side ant front to back by about 1/4 inch be causing the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Not sure of the exact model, but I purchased it in 2008. It is a side by side, water in the door, bottom freezer

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well, none of the local repair people have been able to fix it. The model is PFSS6PKW

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 11 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Does the heater come on and heat up the unit to deice it? Or are you manually de icing it with a blow dryer?

Manually

ok so from the sounds of it your defrost heater has went bad and is going to need to be replaced.

The ice isn't in the freezer. The frost free part works

this is the part I am referring to that will need to be replaced. Its right back there with the coils and the fan you just unhook the old one and put this one in. Until you replace this part your unit will continue to freeze which can cause alot of problems in the unit.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Refrigerator-Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR02X12603/1476453?modelNumber=PFSS6PKWASS

the ice is behind the paneling right? By the coils?

yes that is where the defrost heater is located and will need to be replaced.