Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Maytag Performa won't start. When I select the cycle and…

Customer Question
My Maytag Performa won't...

My Maytag Performa won't start. When I select the cycle and press the start button I hear a click (from the start button), but nothing happens. I've tested the selector clock, the start button, the door switch, both thermal fuses and all have continuity (appear to be working). There is proper 240v going to the power block. Not sure what else could be causing the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

MED5640TQ0 not sure of the age.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Trying to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I haven't checked the motor, but it's not making a humming noise as though it was bad. I'' only asssuming that it is still in working order.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 9 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Hello

So the first thing you want to do is open the door and push the door switch to make sure it still clicks. If it doesn't click, it needs to be replaced. Other than that, most likely you just have a bad fuse. This model is made by Whirlpool because Whirlpool bought out Maytag in 2006 so the fuse is mounted on the back of the dryer just above the exhaust exit vent. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to access the fuse and test it as well as a link to the fuse if you wanted to order and replace it yourself.

CLICK HERE for video

CLICK HERE for fuse

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I've checked the door switch, and the thermal fuse. Both seem to be in working order.

um... I would check power coming to the dryer then because if the motor doesn't even hum the only thing left is the start button.

I tested the power block, and have 240v on the power block terminals. I've also checked the start switch for continuity. It seems to be working.

That's just not possible. You either need to re-do all your tests or it's time to call a technician in because if all that were working the dryer would be working. The motors don't fail without at least humming when you press the start button. They have a start and run winding so it will at least hum when you press the start button if the motor is bad which means something you already tested is bad.

I'll retest everything. Thanks

Good luck.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?