Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My frigidaire side X side makes a buzzing noise every 15-20…

Customer Question
My frigidaire side X...

My frigidaire side X side makes a buzzing noise every 15-20 minutes. What causes it and how to fix it?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's about 9 years old , model FRS6HR4HW4, manuf. 7/7

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on what you tell me is wrong and what needs to be done. I'm fairly handy.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems to be working fine. Frozen things are frozen, cold things stay cold, it just makes an annoying buss in my man cave.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician

hello , do you have ice and water in your fridge ?..is the water hooked up and making ice ?thx Randy

no, there is no water hooked up to make ice

is the icemaker on ? arm down?

that is the problem , raise or shut off the icemaker ..if the icemaker is on it will energize the solenoid regardless if there is no water ,the solenoid will buzz for 8-10 seconds ..shut off the icemaker or disconnect the wiring on the water valve and you wont have that annoying buzz,

the arm is up since its not hooked up to water and I'm not trying to make ice. I don't want to spend an additional $24 just to talk to you . I think this whole thing is a scam since they instantly want me to pay friggin monthly

u dont have to sign up , disconnect the wiring to the solenoid and that should take care of the issue , no need to pay anything extra

am I supposed to reconnect the wires after I disconnect it? Do I need to take the back cover off to access it?

take the back cover off and pull the quick connects off the valve , that way there is no power going to the valve , reconnect them if you ever hook up water to the fridge

it wont affect any other issues including cooling

When I originally bought the unit I used it in that house hooked up to the water and made cubes. When I bought this house 9 years ago I kept the fridge that came with the house in the house and use this one in my man cave ... the garage. Do you think that is what is the cause of the noise? Could it be dust bunnies or anything other than the solenoid?

if you had it hooked up to water it wont make the buzz, if you have no water hooked up to it ,it will buzz or hum for 8-10 seconds every 15-20 minutes ..its because you dont have water hooked up to it ..if its that constant noise ..for the same amount of time

That all sounds logical but the noise does seem to be a lot more noticeable as of late. The timing of the noises all seem to fit with your advise. Its getting late so I don't think I'm going to pull it out of the hole to fix it tonight. Is there anything else that would possibly have those same symptoms that I should check on before we say goodbye?

if its a consistent 15-20 minutes for about 8-10 secs i cant see it being anything else

Thanks, ***** ***** way to inform you that you solved my problem tomorrow. That's when I'll tackle it.

yes . just respond back to the question anytime

when we first began discussing my problem, you suggested I pulled to quick disconnects to my solenoid. Afterward I pulled up diagrams to make sure I could identify it when I saw it. I assumed I was going to need to pull it out from the wall and go in from the back of the unit but the diagrams make me think I need to pull out the ice maker box, then disconnect the frame work for it to access the back of the frame box. In order to do that there are numerous screws that have to be removed. That part seems a bit confusing. The diagram is showing me the three screws that attach the solenoid behind the cover but unless I pull the box out I don't see how I'll be able to see to disconnect the wires.
just now when I had my head in the fridge side grabbing a drink the fridge started making the sound again and I'm pretty sure the noise was coming from inside the cover at the top left side of the fridge. I opened the freezer door real quick and definitely the sound is coming from the fridge, or at least the noise is much more pronounced on that side. Now what?
it looks like you had Sunday and Monday off. Thanks for the help you gave me.
As you can see I've sent you several messages that you have not responded to after you told me you would. Help me figure this thing out and I'll be happy to give you a good rating.
I have responded to you several times without any notice from you. My problem is still not resolved. If you want a "GOOD" service rating from me finish the project!!!