Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE microwave model HVM1540DN1BB shows the following message…

Customer Question
GE microwave model HVM1540DN1BB...

GE microwave model HVM1540DN1BB shows the following message "Service required " What do you suggest?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 10 years old and is built in with a GE Range - model HVM1540DN1BB

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly - but willing to use a repairman if not unreasonable to do it myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can't think of anything

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Service required appears when the microwave thinks the touch control panel has shorted. Try to unplug your microwave for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't work, remove the screws going into the top of the vent panel. Remove the vent panel above the door and unplug your microwave again. Remove the 1 screw above the control panel and then the control panel will slide up and hinge forward and down. Disconnect the ribbon cable between the display board and touch control panel. Clean the tip with a pencil eraser. Re-assemble and if the issue still occurs, you'd need to replace the touch control panel which is about $165 I'm sorry to say. I'm not sure if it's worth fixing at 10 years old but if you wanted to fix it yourself then below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for touch control panel

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?