Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Whirlpool electric dryer keeps stopping after running for…

Customer Question
My Whirlpool electric dryer...

My Whirlpool electric dryer keeps stopping after running for a few minutes. Any idea what is wron

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2 - 3 years old the model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It will occasionally run through a whole cycle....and I have cleaned out the vent

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

When it shuts off, will it start right back up again? If so, see the information below.

Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier.

If it has to cool before it will start again, that is a different issue. Let me know what happens, please.