Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a GE adora refrigerator that is accumulating ice…

Customer Question
We have a GE...

We have a GE adora refrigerator that is accumulating ice underneath the deli drawer. It appears the drain is not draining in the back under the coils. Any tips?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

DFE29JSDASS I think it is 1-2 years old, but not certain as we just moved into the house

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

WE have been trying, but not sure what to do about the clogged drain. Tried flushing the drain with hot water and baking soda and it doesn't appear to be working.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So you are correct that you have a clogged drain. You need to remove everything out of the refrigerator and remove the back panel to see the drain. The panel you are removing is part 799 on the diagram attached below. The drain will be clogged with ice so unless you have something like a turkey baster to shoot ice down the hole, it's going to take a very long time to thaw out. Once the drain is thawed out, there is a clip GE makes which clips onto the heater and transfers heat down into the drain hole so it doesn't freeze over again. The part number for that clip is WR51X10133 if you want to install one.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.