Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Older GE gas Oven doesn't heat. Replaced ignitor, ignitor…

Customer Question
Older GE gas Oven doesn't...
Older GE gas Oven doesn't heat. Replaced ignitor, ignitor glows but oven doesn't heat.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. How long did you leave the igniter to glow before shutting it off?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

JGRS14GEV1BB is the model number. You are certain that the gas supply is adequate?

I believe so. It worked fine yesterday, and the stove top on the other side of the kitchen is functioning fine

Okay, so if the gas supply is good and the igniter is new and glows, that only leaves the gas valve as suspect. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

In the diagram at the link below, number 315 is the gas safety valve. I believe it will need to be replaced.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

Is there anyway to test the gas safety valve?

Not really, the current draw of the igniter heats the bimetal up to allow gas to flow. If the igniter is glowing and new, we know it is drawing that current through the bimetal and it is drawing enough current (since it is new and not weak). So that really only means the valve is not able to open (provided gas to it is good).

Ok, I will need to turn off the gas before disconnecting correct? Would there normally be a gas shut off valve near or under the oven?

There should be a shut off behind the oven or perhaps under if installed in a high cabinet.

What about a continuity test on the safety valve? Could that be helpful?

No, we know the bimetal is intact or the igniter would not glow.

ok thanks. I'm going to keep this open until I receive and install the new part.

Sure, rating does not close it and it will never time out, just FYI. You may post back anytime. The easiest way back is to follow a link from your email.

Thanks. Would there be any potential of removing and cleaning the safety valve in hopes it would work? We're planning a kitchen remodel and its a bummer to spend money on the oven we'll be discarding.

You can try, also verify that gas is getting out of the regulator to it. I would not take the valve apart, though, just use compressed air to blow it out.

ok, how would I go about verifying that gas is getting out of the regulator?

Turn the gas off, remove the line from the regulator to the valve and turn the gas back on. See if gas leaks. Of course, keep all ignition sources away. You just need to turn the gas on for a split second to verify it is flowing from the regulator.

Do you have any idea how I get to the safety valve and regulator on this model? I've take apart a lot of the inside, and it appears that the oven might need to be removed to access the parts?

Yes, it needs to be removed from the cabinet.

Do you have any pointers on removing it from the cabinet?

There are screws around the front trim area that come out and it should pull out fairly easily. Every installation is different, though, so I am not exactly sure if anything was "engineered" to fit your installation.

thanks

You are very welcome, thank you!