Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag French Door Ref/Freezer that we bought back…

Customer Question
I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag French Door Ref/Freezer that we bought back in 2008 and it was delivered in July 2009 ( building house) We got a 10 year warranty. Well, since Aug 10, 2017...we have been having problems. The refrig & freezer freeze up. On Aug 10 the repair man unfroze our ice maker. On Aug 15 they came back because everything froze up again. They replaced ice cube gasket (air leak)

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I can give you model number MFI2569VEM/ serial # KY1840540. We bought it at Cocoa Appliances on 12/10/08 and it was delivered on July 30, 2009. We decided to unplugged unit and let it thaw out ( Sept 13, 2017) We turned it back on last night (Sept 15) It's freezing everything again. We had to buy a cheap refrig so we could keep what food was good after all the freezing. We have thrown out so much food from refrig area due to the freezing and to go out and buy a cheap one just to keep food cold was not what we wanted to do after paying $2284.00 for it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No...we have The Appliance Man Co. that does work on it. I need to know...what is causing this? The appliance man said he was going to look into the matter..(haven't heard from him yet).but if you can help out by telling me where the problem could be...would appreciate it...so I can relay it to appliance man.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We took the back off in refrig (inside refrig) area and all the tubes back there were frozen. No ice being made, no water coming thru.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you open the right refrigerator door and stick your head in to see the left refrigerator door where the ice compartment seals with the door, is the gasket now touching the ice compartment?

The gasket is touching the ice compartment
Also, it sees every other day...its leaks water on right side of refrig

I'm sorry I don't believe I'll be able to assist you here, so I'll opt out, but that will open this question to all other Experts, and someone will be along shortly to assist you

Sorry that you couldn't help us. That's our luck, I hope we're not charged for not getting an answer to our problem.
Very unhappy that you couldn't figure out the problem. Hope we're not charge for this
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

There is actually a Service Bulletin out for this issue that a repair kit has been designed for. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The Instruction Sheet for the new kit is attached. You will need to order the repair kit, part number W10295078, available below.

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

This part has already been replaced last week by Appliance Man. It came with a new gasket also. This didn't solve the problem

What does the display show the temperatures are?

After it kept freezing we put it up to 3 degrees for freezer and all the way up I believe 45 - 46 (highest it would go) and it was still freezing the refrigerator area. We now have the unit unplugged as all the food was being frozen

After you set the temperatures, the display is designed to default back to the actual temperatures. Do you know what they read after defaulting back to actual temperatures?

Not sure.....but we always had it at zero for freezer and 38 degrees for refrig. for years

Okay, the reason I ask is because that would tell us if the control was seeing the incorrect temperatures from the sensors or if it was not able to control it from freezing. There are a couple of other issues this model had that could cause either scenario.

the sensors should be checked and what other issues should be checked out

Look for any areas that could let warm air in at any point, refrigerator seal, back of cabinet at drain or any fittings, etc.

Great...left a message with guy who has been trying to repair unit to call me. Hopefully this info will help him. If there is any thing else you can think of.....PLEASE let me know

It sounds to me like a control board issue or a broken damper in the refrigerator that opens and closes to allow cold air into the fresh food section. I suspect the damper more, it is a more likely to fail and has a history of failure. Is it number 11 at the link below. The door that opens and closes pivots on two plastic pins. If one of those pins break, the door gets jammed and cannot close to control the air flow.

CLICK HERE

I talked with our appliance man this AM. He also was talking with a few technicians and they mentioned damper also. Hopefully this will fix the problem when we see him this Thursday. Thanks

Sounds good, let me know! :~)

Kelly, Appliance Technician