Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag microwave oven model MMV1164WW=5 Has been…

Customer Question
I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag microwave oven model MMV1164WW=5 Has been working fine. now it seems to be working fine but will not heat. Clock works, turntable turns sounds like working but not heat

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model number MMV11654WW=5 Did not get it new do not know year of made I have had it about a year

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Manufacturing date 2013 Everything seems to be working normal Acts like it is working fine but no hear The led fan light all work normal but no heat

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/15/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 11 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Anytime a microwave runs but does not heat means that the magnetron ( Its purpose is to generate microwave energy. The high-voltage components accomplish this by stepping up AC line voltage to high voltage, which is then changed to an even higher DC voltage. This DC power is then converted to the RF energy that cooks the food.)

has failed and will have to be replaced. This is a dangerous repair because microwaves hold high voltage even when power is not being supplied to the unit, so it is highly recommended that only a qualified technician make this repair. The magnetron and also the diode that will need to be replaced usually run in the range of 140.00 -300.00 just in parts. If you would still like to attempt this repair yourself I will be glad to give you the part numbers you need, just let me know, thanks.

Now that I have given you an initial answer to your question I would ask at this time that you go ahead and rate my assistance because we are not compensated for our time unless you do. Even after you have rated I will continue to help you at no charge if you have any follow up questions. You rate my assistance by clicking on one of the empty stars located at the top right of your question page on Just Answer. The 5th star to the right is the best rating and I hoped I have earned that. If you are using a mobile phone and can't locate the star rating system scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find it there. Thank you for seeing to this at this time and then if you have any follow up questions please let me know. Rating my assistance will in no way affect the charges for this service.

Thank you for your help We will not try to fix. Can get a new one for what it would cost to fix
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 11 months ago

yes unfortunately that is the case for this particular repair. You are welcome, thank you for using JA and please remember to rate my assistance before you go, have a good day.