Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile refrigerator. The water filter light was…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE Profile refrigerator. The water filter light was on and I've replaced the filter using GE filter MWF, following the instructions in my manual. I held the reset button and the light is still showing orange. How do I get the filter to reset?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The model is PFSS2MJYIss. I'd stay the refrigerator is 4 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What work? I thought all I had to do was install a new filter, run the water for a few minutes to clear the lines and then hold the reset button for 3 seconds?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/15/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 11 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You should just need to press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds. If it won't reset, unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset and then try again. If none of that works, then either you'd have to replace that interface control board, or you can just remember to replace the filter ever 6 months because the logic in the board isn't working and it's not resetting the filter timer like it's supposed to.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.